Cloth Diapers have come a long way! Reusable diapers are easier than you might think, plus they can save you tons of money. We break down the benefits and concerns so you can choose if cloth diapering is right for you and your baby…..
A few reasons to use cloth diapers:
- No harmful chemicals on babies skin. Disposable diapers contain several chemicals that can irritate your baby's sensitive skin. Dioxin and Tributyl-tin are found in many disposable diapers, two chemicals known to cause hormonal problems in humans.
- Less expensive. Cloth diapers can save you a ton of money when you add up how many diapers the average child wears.
- Eco-friendly. Disposable diapers take between 200 to 500 years to break down in landfills. They also use twenty times more raw materials in the making. So cloth diapering is a much more environmentally friendly way to go.
Best Cloth Diapers
Ok, so which cloth diapers are the best?
These are the most popular cloth diaper types:
- All-in-ones are the easiest to use. They are considered the most user friendly option if people who are new to cloth diapers will be diapering your baby. Absorbent pads are sewn to waterproof covers to create a one and done solution. After baby potties you simply toss the whole thing in the wash.
- Hybrids/All-in-twos. Have a removeable insert that can be washed or tossed. Come in one-size adjustable or sized options.
- Pocket diapers. A waterproof cover, lining and a pocket within the lining to insert an absorbent pad. When baby soils you remove the insert and wash both. These tend to be bulkier and come in one-size and sized options.
- Prefold cloth diapers. are the diapers of our former generations. Simple layered cotton with a cover to keep the diaper in place. After baby potties the prefold is removed and washed. Least expensive but also considered least convenient for most parents.
Where to Buy Cloth Diapers – Click to shop
Cloth Diaper Covers
Newborn Cloth Diapers
Thirsties Newborn All-in-One diapers are well loved by new moms. Made for babies between 5 and 14 pounds they're the perfect size for newborns and feature an umbilical cord snap down and adjustable rise. They're also super absorbent and come in loop or snap closure options.
How to Clean Cloth Diapers
- Use a diaper spray to remove poop from soiled diaper
- Rinse diaper and leave wet until ready to wash. Store wet diapers in a diaper pail.
- Wash every 24 to 48 hours.
- Toss a load of diapers in the washing machine. Wash 12 to 15 diapers max at a time.
- Set washer to highest water level. Pre-rinse with cold water.
- Wash on warm setting with a cloth-friendly detergent.
- Dry in dryer (avoid high temp drying) or hang to dry.
Pin this for later and Follow our Pinterest page for more mom hacks
More Baby Tips and Momlife Advice….