Sharing our fun picnic at the farm and diaper bag essentials for toddler day trips. Thank you JJ Cole for the sample products for review, all thoughts and opinions are my own. #jjcolespringstyle
Last week we headed out to Great Country Farms to pick strawberries and enjoy the afternoon outside. The weather has been so nice lately, B and I are making the most of these last few days of spring. I packed up some snacks and we made the forty five minute drive out to one of our favorite farms in VA.
I’ve shared before that the best way for me to keep my busy little bug from going bananas and driving me crazy is to make a bucket list of fun things to do each season. I scout through local parenting websites and find lots of family friendly events and places going on and add them to our calendar. Also, I keep a list of Pinterest inspired activities for his age to fill in on days in between.
Great Country Farms has tons of exciting things for kids, we can spend a whole afternoon there having fun. There are farm animals to feed, playground slides and swings, a jumping pillow, mini golf and so much more. Every few weeks they host a special event for picking whatever is in currently in season. We’ve picked berries, apples, peaches, and even dug up potatoes.
After spending a few hours picking strawberries and exploring the farm we found a spot by the lake for our picnic. I laid out our outdoor blanket and B unpacked the picnic basket. We nibbled on sandwiches and the delicious fresh picked berries, watching the geese and ducks waddling by the water.
The key to having a successful day trip with a toddler is planning ahead and being prepared. Packing up a few essentials will keep you from getting stressed out over all the little things that are bound to happen. And a good diaper bag is important!
I love this new JJ Cole Aqua Radian Bucket Tote, it’s stylish for spring and has all the details a mama needs. Thirteen pockets to keep all your kiddo necessities organized and accessible, including a spot for your phone, pacifier, and bottle. Plus it wipes down easily, so you don’t have to worry about all those inevitable apple sauce stains or popsicle drips.
Another cool thing I love about this bag is you can carry it as a tote or attach the shoulder strap and wear it over your shoulder or crossbody style.
This outdoor blanket is AWESOME! I have another JJ COLE one we were given when B was born and we’ve used it so many times. When he was a baby it was great to pull out at a friends house or when we played outside, he could crawl around on it and play. I keep it in the car for all our impromptu outdoor activities. I love the soft colors and spring pattern of our new one.
Our picnic playdate was so nice, a fun afternoon hanging out with my favorite little person. I love days like this where we can just run around and explore. He’s so curious and he makes me laugh all day.
Like I said, keep a few essentials in your diaper bag so you’re always prepared for issues that can spoil the fun. Here’s my list:
Diaper Bag Essentials List for Fun Toddler Day Trips
- Sunscreen. A good stick sunscreen and a lotion or non-aerosol spray. The stick is great for babies face, it’s a little thicker and won’t get in his eyes when he sweats or gets wet. The lotion you’ll need for covering larger areas.
- Bugspray. You need to keep bug spray in your bag. Parks, farms, trails, playgrounds, the lake… the bugs are everywhere and can ruin your afternoon. We use a DTA free one.
- Small First Aid Kit. Make sure it has the basics: bandaids, alcohol pads, gauze and an ointment for treating cuts and scrapes. I also keep a bug bite rollerball treatment in case we get stung or bitten.
- Snacks. Keeping a couple of snacks on hand at all times will help you hold off a hangry toddler tantrum till lunch or dinner.
- Change of clothes. A simple lightweight change of clothes will save you in case of a diaper mishap, a muddy fall or a run through the splashpad.
What are your favorite spring time activities for keeping your little one busy? Share them on our Facebook Page