Home remedies to help fight a cold, clear a sinus infection, get rid of a headache or ease the pain of a child’s earache. We’ve rounded up what really works according to our panel of moms.
**Ask your doctor before trying any at-home solution to be sure it’s right for you
When I was a child my mom had several home remedies she swore by to battle whatever sickness or ailment we happened to have. If it was a cold coming on she’d cover my chest in vapor rub and have me soak in a hot tub of water. She swore that gargling salt-water would cure a sore throat and if I had any sign of a rash she’d break out the oatmeal and honey for a homemade salve.
Home remedies can be helpful for alleviating symptoms of all kinds. Our bodies work hard to keep us healthy, but sometimes they need a little help. We don’t want to run to a doctor for every little ache and pain so it helps to have a few tried and true DIY solutions to common health concerns.
Home Remedies for a Cold
Vitamin C is a natural remedy that’s been shown to cut the duration and severity of a cold in half. Increasing your vitamin c can help curb an oncoming cold.
Chicken soup is a natural remedy that most moms swear by. While it may not “cure” a cold, it can help alleviate the aggravation of one. The heat and steam help breakdown mucus and congestion. Adding peppers and spices can increase the soothing effects.
Garlic is another popular cold-fighter. Garlic contains a compound called allicin which has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Studies have shown that people who took garlic reduced their risk of catching a cold by more than half. It also showed to be a effective in reducing the recovery time for people with a cold.
**Garlic supplements should not be taken by pregnant women, diabetics or people with bleeding disorders. Ask your doctor first.
Natural Remedy for Earache
Olive oil can help ease the pain of an earache according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. Use few drops of warm olive oil in the troubled ear. **Do not try this if you have ear tubes or a ruptured ear drum.
A warm compress may help soothe an earache. Use a heating pad on a safe temperature or a damp washcloth.
Hydrogen peroxide is a natural remedy for earaches that’s been used for years. Drop several drops in the affected ear and wait a few minutes before allowing it to drain.
Best Essential Oils for Pain Relief
- Eucalyptus oil helps with congestion and cold/flu symptoms. Inhaling it can also ease body pain associated with illness.
- Lavender oil can help with headaches, migraines and even PMS symptoms. Lavender is one of the oldest home remedies for migraines and anxiety. Add a few drops of lavender oil to a diffuser.
- Peppermint oil can soothe tummy troubles and nausea. It kills bacteria that cause gas, bloating and indigestion.
Home remedies for Nausea
Ginger can help when you feel queasy and nauseous. Ginger is a natural anti-inflammatory. Studies have shown that women around the world use ginger to help ease morning sickness.
Coffee for Constipation Relief
If your major woe is not being able to go, try drinking a few cups of caffeinated coffee. Coffee can stimulate your gut and digestive system to help produce a bowel movement.
Home Remedies for UTI
A urinary tract infection can cause serious pain and discomfort. Women are more prone to getting UTIs which can cause pelvic pain, burning sensation and frequent urination.
- Flush your system with lots of water.Drinking plenty of fluids can help prevent a urinary tract infection from occurring. It will also help remove bacteria from the urinary tract faster.
- Drink unsweetened cranberry juice. Cranberries prevent bacteria from adhering to the urinary tract.
- Garlic blocks the growth of bacteria.
- Probiotics improve digestion and gut health. They can also help defend your body against UTIs. Try a probiotic supplement or increase your intake of probiotic foods like yogurt, kefir, kombucha and kimchi.
Home Remedies for Toothache
- Try gargling with a salt water solution. Using a salt water rinse can help ease the pain of a toothache.
- Clove oil acts as a natural pain numbing remedy. Rub it over the affected area.
- Cold compress. An ice pack can ease the pain of a sore tooth.
More Life Hacks and Health Related Posts