I love everything about the holidays, everything except for one annoying part that can turn my Christmas cheer into total misery: TRAFFIC! Living right outside of DC we are right in the middle of some of the worst traffic you’ll ever see.
Heading home for Christmas to visit family is always an adventure because we can never gauge how long the trip is gonna be. Moreover, it could take five hours to get there, it could take nine. Nine hours in the car with a toddler is no fun, as I’m sure you already know if you have kids.
Family Travel Tips
Here are some handy Travel Tips to make traveling over the holidays a little easier:
- Travel Off Peak– avoid the peak days and hours and you’ll have a much easier, often less expensive trip
- Use Travel Apps– There are lots of travel apps that will make traveling less stressful. Flight apps can help you plan for delays, airline apps can make boarding easier and faster. If your driving Waze is a great app to track traffic and find alternate routes.
- Keep Kids Busy- Download a movie and some games to your iPad or tablet. Bring an activity pad for coloring. Stickers are a great way to keep toddlers entertained in the airport and on flights.
- Pack Snacks– Nothing worse than being trapped in a car or on a plane with a hungry toddler. Be sure to pack extra snacks. If you want to avoid the mess go with whole hard fruits or simple sandwiches.
- Wear Layers- Going from one climate to another or just from place to crowded place, you never know what the temperature is gonna be. A cardigan can keep you from getting cold and is easy to remove if your too hot. Same for the kids, dress them in layers in case the plane is cold or they get hot traveling in the car.
Safe travels and Happy Holidays!
Check out a few of our favorite family travel destinations on our Pinterest page