We’ve tried ALL the spaghetti with sauce recipe favorites, and this one always comes out the winner! This is a classic spaghetti recipe that will never disappoint. It’s simple, comforting and absolutely delicious! This is also the perfect dish if you want to impress your friends with an easy homemade meal that tastes like it took hours to make (but trust me, it didn’t!)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- spaghetti noodles , for serving
Prepare Spaghetti Noodles
Fill a large pot of water and bring to a boil.
We really like the Barilla brand spaghetti.
Add the spaghetti noodles to the boiling water and stir so they don’t stick together. You can add them in batches if needed, but make sure you keep stirring. The noodles should cook for about 10 to 12 minutes, until al dente (cooked but still firm). Follow the package instructions for exact boil time. If your spaghetti sticks together during cooking, break up the clumps with a wooden spoon or tongs just before draining it out of its hot bath.
Drain pasta and set aside.
Avoid overcooked pasta with this trick: After draining the noodles, add them back into the pot with some sauce and toss them around until they’re coated with sauce while still hot. Then take them off heat and set aside while you finish making your meal. This way they won’t sit in boiling water too long before being added back into their sauce during serving time!
Homemade Spaghetti Sauce preparation
In a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil and cook onions for 2–3 minutes until they are translucent. Add garlic powder and cook for another 30 seconds.
Add in ground beef and break it up with your spatula as you continue cooking until no pink remains (about 5–7 minutes). Drain any excess grease from your beef mixture before adding tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar and remainder of ingredients. Add cup of water and stir well. Turn down heat if sauce begins bubbling too much while simmering!
Here’s what you need to know about this recipe:
- Ground beef is a good source of protein and iron, which is important for cardiovascular health.
- Italian seasoning and oregano are both spices that add flavor to the dish. You can choose your own spice blend depending on your preferences! Salt and pepper are also great seasonings for spaghetti sauce since they’re used in nearly every kitchen. Feel free to experiment with different flavors as well!
Brown meat until cooked through; drain excess olive oil as needed.
- First, heat about 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan on medium-high heat.
- Use tongs to mix and turn the meat until it’s browned all over and cooked through, about 8 minutes total.
- Drain off any excess oil by using a colander or slotted spoon; add 1 teaspoon chili powder and ¼ teaspoon oregano to the pan; stir until well combined, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to low; add marinara sauce and simmer for 2 minutes more before serving over spaghetti noodles topped with parmesan cheese if desired.*
You’ll want to make sure you stir frequently so nothing sticks to the pan. As with any sauce, it’s best not to over-cook or your spaghetti will be mushy.
Use a wooden spoon and spatula when transferring the meat mixture from pan into saucepan. Metal utensils can damage non-stick surfaces and should never be used for this purpose (or ever really).
Toss cooked spaghetti noodles with meat mixture until evenly coated; serve immediately topped with parmesan cheese if desired.
The BEST Homemade Spaghetti with Sauce Recipe
This is an incredibly easy spaghetti recipe that everyone can make! It’s one of my family’s favorite meals, and it’s great for using up leftover ground beef. This also makes a quick meal on busy weeknights because you only need to boil the pasta, then add your sauce. I love making homemade spaghetti sauce because it tastes so much better than what you buy at the store, plus you know exactly what’s in it!
Enjoy! Spaghetti with Sauce recipe
I hope you enjoy this spaghetti recipe as much as we do! It’s easy, delicious and perfect for any occasion.