Our kitchen is one of my favorite spaces in our new home. And definitely the busiest! One of my goals when we moved in was to have a neat, organized pantry. You know, like the ones you see on Pinterest. Perfectly arranged with everything in it’s place.
Pantry Cabinet Organization
Well, I’m excited to share that I’ve finally marked that DIY dream off my list! And it wasn’t very hard or very expensive to do. I’m gonna share all the details with you guys so you can see just how simple it is to get your pantry in shape and why it’s actually pretty important too……
Pantry Organization Ideas
Having a neat and orderly pantry makes it easier to find the food we have on hand. It’s actually soothing on my brain to open the pantry door and not be met with an eyesore of chaos and overwhelm. Being able to quickly see and grab the food you need will save you time and money. Knowing what you have at home keeps you from buying multiples. I’m so guilty of grabbing something at the grocery store only to find that we actually had one or two of the same thing hiding at home.
Proper food storage isn’t just pleasing to gaze upon, it can help protect your family. Food contamination from pests is a major concern. Ants and cockroaches carry bacteria on their bodies, which spreads when they crawl in pantries and across countertops.
Pantry Organization and Food Storage
So where do you start with organizing your pantry and storing your food the correct way?
- Start with clearing out and cleaning your space. Wipe down all shelves and surfaces with soap and water.
- Schedule a professional pest control treatment. Do-it-yourself pest control almost always challenges the average homeowner and often results in frustration and failure so you might want to contact a reputable company who will do it for you. Cockroaches are very adaptable, and treatments must be placed precisely in order to be effective. Because there are many ant and fly species with non-visible breeding sources, a DIY treatment might not work for that specific species or get to the root of the problem.
- Open food should be stored in sealed, air tight containers to prevent pest contamination. Cookies, chips, crackers, cereal, nuts, pasta, and even flour and dried baking products are susceptible. Rinse fruit and veggies and store in refrigerator when possible to avoid fruit flies.
- Use boxes and baskets to organize your food items by groups so that you can easily pull out and find the food you need.
If you have a pest problem or want to protect your home from future invaders, it’s best to seek expert advice and service from a licensed pest management professional. Orkin’s highly-trained specialists will inspect your home from top to bottom and design a custom solution to fit your home’s unique needs.
I called to schedule a treatment with Orkin Pest Control right after we moved in to make sure our home is well-protected. Knowing that we don’t have to worry about pests gives me peace of mind. As a homeowner, it’s one less thing on our list!
A few more cleaning tips to help prevent pests …..
- Pests like to use paper and cardboard boxes for harborage (another reason to remove cardboard boxes from the kitchen). Recycle junk mail immediately and don’t leave those Amazon boxes hanging around.
- Clean crumbs and spills immediately with and wash down surfaces with cleaner or soap and water.
- Don’t leave dirty dishes out overnight. This includes the sink and anywhere you might eat (like in front of the TV).
- Pests are attracted to the foods and odors coming from trash cans. Reduce attractiveness by covering all trash cans with tightly sealed lids, emptying them at least daily – but even more in the summer – and lining them immediately. Also, wash down trash cans regularly to help prevent any lingering food debris and odors.
- Clean the dishwasher and other appliances regularly.
This post is sponsored by our friends at Orkin Pest Control. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Pin this for later and be sure to follow our Pinterest boards for more ideas and inspiration
Save Big on Appliances During Best Buy’s Major Upgrade Sale
Keeping a Clean House When You Have Messy Kids
At-A-Glance- A Planner + Journal and So Much More!
Handy Helpers to Make Home Cleaning Easier Everyday
Command Center Ideas – Get Your Whole Family Organized
Spring Cleaning Tips and Products That Make It Easier
How Organizing Your Garage Can Change Your Life
Spring Cleaning Hacks to Get Your Home Sparkling Clean
Spring Wreaths to Brighten Up Your Door