This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of The J.M. Smucker Company. The opinions and text are all mine.
Cats make great companions. They’re cute and cuddly, great at keeping secrets and easy to care for. Cats tend to be pretty low-maintenance, independent animals which makes them perfect for busy families and people who have limited time for tending to a pet’s needs.
When we first brought our cat home, I wanted to make sure he had all the things he’d need. Beyond a litter box, food, and water what do cats really require? Just like humans, cats have their own list of likes and dislikes and it’s important to find out your cats favorites.
Here are 8 things your cat needs for a healthy, happy life:
- Good Food. Feed your furry friend a quality cat food that’s full of flavor he’ll crave. We tried a few foods until we found the one that our cat favors. Meow Mix Simple Servings with Real Tuna, Shrimp & Whitefish in Sauce and Simple Servings with Real Chicken and Turkey in Gravy is a premium wet food made with real ingredients. It comes in single serving cups, just the right amount for no leftovers and less mess. I pick up our cats favorite flavors when I’m grocery shopping at our local Walmart.
- Health Check-Ups. Scheduling routine veterinarian visits for your cat is important. Be sure to discuss procedures that could benefit your cat and ensure he leads a long, happy life. Vaccinations, dental care, flea & tick treatment and advice on spay/neuter options
- Love and attention are essential to keeping your cat content. Cats are great at being mysterious and giving attitude, but as aloof as they may be, they still need affection. Building a bond with your cat will benefit you both.
- Even though cats are low-maintenance pets, they still have a strong sense of adventure. Cats are naturally curious and they want to play. Finding the right activities to spark your felines interest will help keep him healthy and happy. Introduce a variety of cat toys that will encourage your cat to play. Make time to engage in games that will keep him on his toes (or paws, lol!) so he’s getting exercise he needs.
- His Own Space. Cats need their own space to be happy in their day to day lives. A place to eat, a place to sleep, and a clean litter box for when nature calls. Keep your cat’s food and water well separated from his litter box. Make sure his bed is cozy and in a place he’ll love to nap day or night. Cat’s loooooove to nap!
- A Collar. You know how the line goes…. Curiosity killed the cat! Curiosity could lead your cat to sneak out into the great unknown. A collar will make it easier for him to find his way back home with the help of neighbors. Make sure your cat always wears a collar with your address/phone number on it. Or, consider getting your cat micro-chipped.
- Something to Scratch. Because cats love to scratch. Cat scratch fever is real. Scratching helps your cat relax, stretch and release tension. It’s also an enjoyable pastime for playful kitties. Give your cat a good scratching post and he’ll be a happy boy.
- Claws. A post will also give your cat something other than the furniture to scratch at. And while finding your marks on your favorite chair or a sweater that’s been shredded may prompt you to consider declawing the culprit, don’t! Your cat needs his claws, especially if he ever finds himself outdoors. Those claws will be his only line of defense against predators.
While he may be rather easy to manage, your cat still has a basic list of wants and needs that will benefit him….and you. Make sure you are giving your cat the best, and remember to pick up Meow Mix Simple Servings next time you’re at Walmart.
Have you read this popular post?