As parents, it can be a challenge to keep kids entertained, especially when going outside isn’t an option. But with a little creativity and some basic supplies, there are lots of fun indoor activities that will keep kids of all ages busy for hours.
Here are 20+ indoor activities for kids that you can try at home:
Indoor Activities for Kids
- Break out the board games. A cold or rainy day is perfect for challenging your kids to a game of Monopoly, chess, checkers, charades or CandyLand.
- Build a fort: Use sheets, blankets, and pillows to create a cozy hideaway for kids to play in.
- Have a dance party: Put on some music and let the kids boogie down.
- Play a board game: Classic games like Monopoly and Clue are always a hit, or try something new like Settlers of Catan or Pandemic.
- Make homemade playdough: Combine flour, salt, water, and food coloring to make your own playdough.
- Have a scavenger hunt: Create a list of items for the kids to find around the house and give them a prize when they finish.
- Make a craft: Try making homemade greeting cards, paper airplanes, or friendship bracelets.
- Cook or bake together: Let kids help measure ingredients, stir, and decorate their creations.
- Build with blocks: Classic wooden blocks or interlocking building sets like Legos or K’Nex provide hours of fun.
- Have a picnic: Set up a blanket and spread out a variety of snacks and treats for kids to enjoy.
- Read together: Pick out a book and take turns reading pages or chapters.
- Play dress up: Have kids dress up in costumes and put on a show.
- Play with Play-Doh: The pliability and moldability of Play-Doh can provide hours of fun and creativity.
- Do a puzzle: Find a puzzle that suits the child’s level and interest, and work together to complete it.
- Create a Lego city: Let children use their imagination and creativity to build their own city using legos.
- Play with kinetic sand: Kinetic sand can be moldable and perfect for children who enjoy getting their hands dirty.
- Do a science experiment: Try out a simple experiment like creating a volcano with baking soda and vinegar.
- Do a yoga class: There are many online classes and videos that can guide kids through a yoga session.
- Play with a marble run: A marble run can provide hours of entertainment as kids experiment with different ways to make the marbles run.
- Play with a balloon: Balloons can provide hours of entertainment as kids can bounce, catch and play with them.
- Play with a hula hoop: Hooping is a fun way to get some movement in and a hula hoop can be a great indoor activity.
- Color or draw: Provide coloring books or blank paper for kids to create their own drawings or coloring pages.
Fun Things to Do with Kids
These are just a few ideas to get you started, but with a little creativity, there are countless indoor activities that can keep kids entertained and engaged. So the next time you find yourself stuck inside, don’t despair! Just break out the blanket fort supplies, start a dance party, or do a science experiment together, and enjoy the time spent with your kids.
Pin this for later and follow our PINTEREST page for more kids activities, parenting hacks and family-friendly things to do together!