We’ve reached that spot in the calendar where everyone starts to a little bit stir crazy. I don’t know if it’s the after-holiday crash or the winter break woes from being cooped up indoors, but it’s all starting to unravel. January and February are always my roughest parenting months.
I know how hard it can be to keep my kids entertained and active during the winter months. With the cold weather and shorter days, it can be tempting to just stay indoors and watch TV or play video games all day. But I also know it’s important to keep my kids active and healthy, even in the winter. So we came up with this list of 10 ways to keep your kids active in the wintertime.
We try to set a goal for at least one active play date a week, as well as aiming for getting outside for at least one hour each day. It’s not always easy, but with a little creativity and planning, we can keep our kids active and survive until summertime!
Here’s our list of Winter Activities for Kids
- Indoor sports: Encourage your kids to try out indoor sports like hockey, ice skating, or indoor soccer. These activities are a great way to stay active and have fun during the winter months.
- Active games: Play active games like tag, hide and seek, or freeze. These games are a great way to get kids moving and laughing.
- YouTube exercise videos: There are many exercise videos available on YouTube that are designed specifically for kids. These videos can be a great way to keep kids active and engaged during the winter months. Yoga and dance videos are a great way to get kids moving and have fun.
- Active video games: Play active video games like Nintendo Wii sports and Just Dance together. These games are a great way to get kids moving and laughing while still being indoors.
- Meet up with friends: Meet up with friends at a trampoline park, roller skate rink, or play laser tag. These activities are a great way to stay active and socialize with friends during the winter months.
- Hiking or biking: Go hiking or biking along trails. Even though it’s cold outside, these activities can still be a great way to stay active in the winter. Just make sure to dress warmly and wear the proper footwear.
- Indoor obstacle course: Visit an indoor obstacle course. These are a great way for kids to stay active and challenge themselves.
- Martial Arts: Try a martial arts class. This is a great way to keep kids active and also teach them discipline and focus.
- Gymnastics or dance classes: Sign up for gymnastics or dance classes. These activities are a great way to keep kids active and also improve coordination and balance.
- Indoor swimming: Try indoor swimming at your local pool or YMCA. This is a great way to stay active and also improve cardiovascular health.
Things to Do With Kids in Winter
Here are some indoor places to go with kids that offer activities to get their energy out:
- Trampoline Parks: These facilities offer large trampoline areas, foam pits, and obstacle courses for kids to jump and play on.
- Indoor Playgrounds: Many malls and recreation centers have indoor playgrounds with slides, climbing structures, and ball pits.
- Rock Climbing Gyms: Rock climbing gyms offer a fun and challenging activity for kids to climb and get exercise.
- Bowling Alleys: Bowling is a fun indoor activity that kids can enjoy with friends and family.
- Ice Skating Rinks: Ice skating rinks offer a fun way for kids to get exercise and work on their balance and coordination.
- Inflatable Play Centers: Inflatable play centers have large inflatable obstacle courses, slides, and bouncy houses for kids to play on.
- Arcade Centers: Arcade centers have a variety of games, including video games, air hockey, and basketball, for kids to play and get their energy out.
- Laser Tag Centers: Laser tag centers offer a fun and interactive game for kids to run and play in a large, indoor arena.
These indoor activities offer a fun way for kids to get their energy out, socialize with friends, and engage in physical activity.
Fun Indoor Activities Near Me
How to find indoor activities
- look for recommendations in local Facebook groups
- checkout Groupon for deals on kids activities, classes and fun things to do
- search your city on TripAdvisor to see what’s recommended
These are just a few ideas to keep your kids active during the winter months. With a little creativity and planning, you can help your kids stay healthy and happy all winter long.