Snow storms can be beautiful, but they can also be disruptive and dangerous. If you’re expecting a snow storm in your area, it’s important to take some precautions to ensure that you and your family stay safe and warm. Here are 6 ways to prepare for a snow storm:
- Stock up on supplies. Make sure you have enough food, water, and other essential supplies to last for a few days in case you lose power or can’t leave your home. This includes non-perishable food items, such as canned goods and dried fruit, as well as bottled water and a manual can opener. You should also have flashlights, batteries, and a battery-powered radio on hand in case the power goes out. City Bonfire portable fire pits make great emergency heat and cooking sources. Shop our Winter Supply Essentials List here
- Insulate your home. Keep your home warm and draft-free by sealing any gaps around windows and doors and adding weather stripping or draft stoppers. You can also insulate your pipes to prevent them from freezing and bursting.
- Have a winter car kit. If you need to drive during the snow storm, make sure you have a winter car kit in your trunk. This should include a shovel, blanket, flashlight, extra warm clothing, and a bag of sand or kitty litter to help with traction in case you get stuck. Checkout these popular traction mats to get you out of a jam.
- Clear your driveway and sidewalks. Before the storm hits, make sure to clear your driveway and sidewalks of any debris. This will make it easier to shovel and will help to prevent accidents or injuries.
- Dress appropriately. Wear layers of warm clothing, including a hat, gloves, and a scarf, to protect yourself from the cold. Cover your face and ears if it’s very cold or windy, and wear boots with good traction to prevent slipping on icy surfaces.
- Stay informed. Keep track of the weather forecast and any emergency alerts or warnings from your local authorities. This will help you to know what to expect and to make any necessary preparations. You can find the latest winter weather advisories at weather.gov
By following these steps, you can help to protect yourself and your family during a snow storm. Stay safe and warm!
Stock up on Winter Weather Essentials
Checkout our Amazon List of winter weather prep items to make sure your family is ready for power outages, winter storms and weather emergencies.
Shop our top picks for Winter Weather Prep
More Winter activities and ideas ….
Hurricane Prep List: Things to do Before the Storm
Hot Cocoa nomnomnom! Perfect for Cold Snow Days
5 Best Baby Snowsuit Styles To Keep Them Cozy and Dry
Family Travel | Goodbye Snowy Blizzard, Hello Sunny Beaches!