If you’ve never spent Christmas in North Carolina, you really don’t know what you’ve been missing. North Carolina is home to many charming and picturesque towns that are particularly magical during the holiday season. If you’re looking to get into the holiday spirit, why not plan a trip to one of these five charming Christmas towns, all located in or near North Carolina…
Christmas in North Carolina
Located just outside of Charlotte, McAdenville is known for its impressive display of Christmas lights. Every year, the town transforms into a winter wonderland, with over half a million lights decorating the streets, buildings, and trees. The town’s centerpiece is a beautiful lighted tree in the town square, surrounded by a small pond and a gazebo.
If you find yourself in McAdenville, North Carolina, around Christmas, you’re in for a treat! Often called “Christmas Town USA,” this charming locale takes the holiday spirit to a whole new level.
- Don’t miss the famous Christmas light display that covers almost every house in town; it’s a must-see that attracts visitors from all over.
- Stroll around the McAdenville Lake, where the trees are adorned with lights, creating a magical reflection on the water.
- Visit the Christmas Town Fountain, which not only lights up but also spurts water choreographed to Christmas music.
- Catch the annual Yule Log Parade and Ceremony, a unique tradition that brings the community together for caroling and festivities.
- Make sure to visit the Pharr Family YMCA’s Christmas nativity scene for a serene and reflective moment during the holiday hustle and bustle. With all these attractions, McAdenville is the perfect place to soak up the Christmas spirit!
This charming North Carolina town is known for its beautiful golf courses, but during the holiday season, it also becomes a festive destination. The town’s main street is adorned with wreaths, garlands, and twinkling lights, and there are plenty of holiday events and activities to enjoy, such as tree lightings, caroling, and visits with Santa.
If you’re spending Christmas in Pinehurst, North Carolina, you’re in for a delightful seasonal experience.
- Attend the Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony at The Village Green, where the community gathers to kick off the holiday season with music and festivities.
- Don’t miss the Holiday Pops concert, where you can enjoy classic Christmas tunes performed by a full orchestra. For the golf enthusiasts, the famed Pinehurst golf courses often offer special holiday packages, making it a perfect opportunity to tee off in a winter wonderland.
- Take a charming horse-drawn carriage ride through the historic village, decked out in holiday decor, for a nostalgic touch to your holiday celebrations.
- Make time to explore the Christmas markets and craft fairs where you can shop for unique, locally-made gifts and ornaments. With its blend of traditional events and outdoor activities, Pinehurst offers a memorable way to celebrate the Christmas season.
Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains, Little Switzerland is a small, picturesque town that becomes even more beautiful during the holiday season. The town’s main street is lined with charming shops and restaurants, many of which are decked out in festive decorations. There are also plenty of holiday events and activities, such as a Christmas parade and a tree lighting ceremony.
If you’re lucky enough to spend Christmas time in Little Switzerland nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains, there’s a world of festive activities and natural beauty to explore.
- You can’t miss the spectacular winter hikes; the trails may be less crowded, offering tranquil vistas of snow-capped peaks and frozen waterfalls.
- Consider a day of skiing or snowboarding at nearby resorts; the region becomes a winter sports haven during the holiday season.
- Relax by a cozy fireplace at one of the charming local inns or cabins, perhaps with a cup of hot cocoa and a good book.
- Try some winter zip-lining to soar through the crisp mountain air while taking in the snow-covered scenery from above.
- Don’t forget to visit the quaint local shops that offer unique, handcrafted gifts, perfect for last-minute Christmas shopping.
With its combination of outdoor activities and cozy corners, Little Switzerland provides an idyllic setting for a memorable Christmas holiday.
This coastal town, located in eastern North Carolina, is known for its charming historic district and picturesque waterfront. During the holiday season, the town is transformed into a festive destination, with holiday decorations adorning the streets and storefronts. There are also several holiday events and activities, such as a Christmas parade and a holiday open house.
Christmas in Beaufort, North Carolina, brings a blend of coastal charm and festive traditions to life.
- The annual Crystal Coast Christmas Flotilla is a sight to behold, as boats adorned with twinkling lights and decorations parade along the waterfront.
- Take a stroll through the historic downtown, which is beautifully lit and decorated for the season; the vibrant displays coupled with the reflection on the waters create a magical atmosphere.
- Join one of the Candlelight Home Tours, where you can explore historic homes decked out in their holiday best, offering a glimpse into Beaufort’s rich history and architecture.
- Warm up with some seasonal treats and local crafts at the Christmas Market, where local artisans showcase their crafts and culinary delights.
- Venture on a horse-drawn carriage ride through the streets, allowing you to soak in the festive sights and sounds at a leisurely pace.
Beaufort’s combination of maritime magic and holiday spirit creates a Christmas experience like no other.
Located in the mountains of western North Carolina, Blowing Rock is a charming town with breathtaking views and a lively downtown. During the holiday season, the town is filled with festive decorations, and there are several holiday events and activities to enjoy, such as a tree lighting ceremony and a visit from Santa Claus.
Christmas in Blowing Rock, North Carolina, is like stepping into a winter wonderland.
- The annual Lighting of the Town event, where the entire village comes alive with twinkling lights and decorations.
- Don’t miss a chance to ski or snowboard at the nearby Appalachian Ski Mountain, offering slopes for all skill levels.
- Visit Chetola Resort, which transforms into a luminous spectacle during its Festival of Lights, complete with a glowing lake and lit-up walking trails.
- Take a charming downtown stroll where local shops feature unique holiday gifts and delicious seasonal treats, adding a touch of local flavor to your Christmas shopping.
- Hop aboard Tweetsie Railroad’s Polar Express for a magical train ride complete with hot cocoa, cookies, and a visit from Santa himself. With its mix of traditional holiday events and outdoor winter fun, Blowing Rock makes for a memorable Christmas destination.
Whether you’re looking for twinkling lights, festive decorations, or holiday events, these charming North Carolina towns are sure to put you in the holiday spirit. So why not plan a trip and experience the magic of the season for yourself?