When it comes to enhancing flavor, condiments and sauces are a kitchen’s best friend. However, not all are created equal, especially when considering gut health. Many store-bought options are laden with added sugars, artificial additives, and other ingredients that can disrupt our gut microbiome.
Here’s a list of 12 gut-friendly condiments and sauces you should keep on hand:
Most-Loved Healthier Condiments and Sauces
- Primal Kitchen Starter Pack Amazon This starter set includes Ranch, Chipotle Lime, Mayo, Greek marinade and an Extra Virgin Avocado Oil.
- Primal Kitchen Sauce Set – Steak sauce, Classic BBQ Sauce and Golden BBQ Sauce. Unsweetened, organic, whole 30 and keto friendly sauces and marinades. Amazon
- Yo Mamas Original Marina– great sauce for pasta, pizza and gourmet dishes. No added sugar, paleo friendly, low-carb and low-sodium. Amazon
- Sir Kensington’s Mayonnaise- a best-seller in the keto and paleo category, this avocado oil mayo is gluten free and non-gmo. Amazon
- G Hughes Sugar Free Yum Yum Sauce– a favorite, this japanese steak/chicken/shrimp sauce is an award winner Amazon
- Primal Kitchen Organic Ketchup Variety Pack – original and spicy, keto certified, whole30 approved, paleo friendly. Amazon
- Bachan’s Japanese Barbecue Sauce – a great sauce for wings, chicken, beef, pork, seafood, noodle dishes and so much more! Amazon
- Siete Taco Seasoning- a gluten free, preservative free, whole30 approved seasoning Amazon
- Primal Kitchen No-Soy Teriyaki Variety Pack – a delicious sauce great for stir-fry dishes, sticky ribs, keto-egg roll bowls and tons of other healthy meals. Amazon
- Kevin’s Natural Foods Simmer Sauces – Tikka, Thai Coconut and Lemongrass Basil sauces that are paleo friendly, gluten free, no preservatives and non-gmo Amazon
- Yo Mama’s Classic Caesar Dressing and Dip – a delicious dressing that’s low carb, low sodium and gluten-free Amazon
- Sate Asian Chili Sauce– Keto, sugar-free, paleo, all natural condiment Amazon
- Bravado Pineapple Habanero Hot Sauce – award winning gourmet sauce Amazon
- Noble Made the New Primal Mustard BBQ Marinade and Dipping Sauce – whole20, paleo, keto, and gluten-free with over 1400 ratings on Amazon
- Keto Chocolate Peanut Butter – Amazon
- Yondu Hot & Spicy Plant Based Seasoning Sauce – umami plant based sauce, great alternative to soy sauce and fish sauce. Amazon
- Got Chu Korean Hot Sauce – extra spicy made with Gochujang fermented pepper paste, Amazon
Gut Healthy Condiments
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Full of probiotics and known for its ability to balance pH levels in the gut, apple cider vinegar is a versatile condiment great for dressings and marinades.
- Mustard: Mustard is typically made from mustard seeds, water, vinegar, and salt, making it a simple, gut-friendly condiment option.
- Tamari: A gluten-free alternative to soy sauce, tamari is fermented, meaning it contains probiotics that support gut health.
- Salsa: Fresh, homemade salsa made from tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and lime is a gut-friendly option packed with fiber and antioxidants.
- Guacamole: Made from avocados, guacamole is a source of healthy fats and fiber that promote a healthy gut.
- Pesto: Made from basil, pine nuts, olive oil, and garlic, pesto is not only delicious but also gut-friendly.
- Tahini: This paste made from sesame seeds is rich in anti-inflammatory monounsaturated fats.
- Raw Honey: A natural sweetener, raw honey contains enzymes that can support digestion.
- Greek Yogurt Dressing: Greek yogurt-based dressings are high in probiotics and make a healthier alternative to traditional creamy dressings.
- Homemade Tomato Sauce: Unlike many store-bought versions, homemade tomato sauce can be made without added sugar and preservatives, making it a gut-friendly choice.
- Coconut Aminos: A soy-free alternative to soy sauce, coconut aminos are perfect for stir-fries and marinades.
- Kefir or Yogurt-based Dips: Using kefir or natural yogurt as a base for dips can introduce more gut-friendly probiotics into your meals.
When selecting gut-healthy condiments and sauces, remember to check the labels for added sugars and artificial additives. Opting for organic, low-sugar, or homemade versions where possible can make all the difference for gut health. By keeping these gut-friendly condiments on hand, you’ll be well-equipped to add flavor to your meals while also supporting your digestive health.