When it comes to Kentucky Derby parties, one dish that always springs to mind is the legendary Kentucky Hot Brown Sliders– an open-faced sandwich loaded with tender turkey, crispy bacon, and a creamy Mornay sauce, all broiled to perfection.
But as much as we love this classic Southern dish, it’s not always the most party-friendly option. That’s where our scrumptious Kentucky Hot Brown Sliders come in! These bite-sized delights pack all the flavor of the original dish into a fun and easy-to-eat format that’s perfect for any gathering.
Ready to take your Derby party menu to the next level? Follow our simple recipe below to whip up a batch of Kentucky Hot Brown Sliders that your guests will rave about!
Kentucky Hot Brown Sliders Recipe
- 12 slider buns (such as King’s Hawaiian rolls)
- 1 pound thinly sliced roasted turkey breast
- 12 slices of cooked bacon
- 1 large ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces grated white cheddar cheese
For the Mornay sauce:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Start by preparing the Mornay sauce. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, whisking continuously, for 1-2 minutes until smooth and golden. Gradually whisk in the milk and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens, about 5-6 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese, salt, black pepper, and nutmeg until the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth. Set aside.
- Assemble the sliders by slicing the slider buns in half, placing the bottom halves in the prepared baking dish. Layer the roasted turkey slices evenly over the bottom halves of the buns, followed by the sliced tomato and cooked bacon. Drizzle a generous amount of Mornay sauce over the bacon, reserving some for later. Sprinkle the grated white cheddar cheese on top, then cover with the top halves of the buns.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the sliders are heated through.
- Remove the sliders from the oven and let them rest for a couple of minutes before cutting them into individual portions. Serve the sliders with the remaining Mornay sauce on the side for dipping or drizzling.
Kentucky Derby Party Food
These Kentucky Hot Brown Sliders are a surefire hit at any Kentucky Derby party or Southern-themed gathering. Easy to make and packed with the mouthwatering flavors of the classic Hot Brown, they’ll quickly become a favorite among your friends and family.
So, grab your ingredients and get ready to cook up some Derby-worthy deliciousness!
Pin this post for later and follow our Pinterest page for more party food ideas!